HRANA – The following is an overview of human rights violations in Iran on January 1st, 2019 based on the information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) Vahid Moshgani farahani, the attorney of the detained lawyer, Amir Salar Davoudi, reported of renewal of detention for his client. He was arrested earlier on November 20 being accused of ‘assembly and collusion against national security.’
(2) Workers of Ahvaz Urban Railway Company have 18 months of unpaid wages. Also, workers of Kishwood Industries have unpaid wages.
(3) The appeal court of nine Baha’i citizens affirmed their primary sentence of 48 years in prison, combined.
(4) Due to unsafe workplace conditions, one worker was killed, and six others were injured in Kerman and Yazd provinces. Also, because of rollover of the bus carrying workers in Fars province, one worker was killed, and 12 others were injured.
(5) Hamidreza Rahmati, a teacher activist, who was arrested while protesting the arrest of the teachers during teachers’ strikes, was released on bail.
(6) Six Baha’i citizens were sentenced to three years imprisonment combined in an appeal court in Sistan and Baluchestan province. They are accused of ‘acting against the national security by membership in the Baha’i Community’.
(7) The head of guards of the Department of Environment in the province of Gilan confirmed that two rangers were injured in fights with poachers.
(8) The chief of Public Security Police announced that 38 thousand pirated and illegal books were discovered in a storage in south eastern part of Tehran.
(9) Omar Rasoli, a 45-year-old prisoner died because he was denied medical care in Urmia prison. Urmia prison officials neglect for medical care is a serious issue; seven inmates died because of that in the last year.
(10) Tehran’s chief of police, Hassan Rahimi, confirmed that 932 protests had been held in the last nine months. He added that the emergency calls received by the police department have been increased eight percent in the same period.
(11) Over 121 children under six who were suffering from malnutrition, were identified in Bandar-e Mahshahr in the last nine months. They have been significantly off the charts in weight and height.
(12) Seven workers of Iran National Steel Industrial Group are still in prison. Behzad Alikhani, Mostafa Obiat, Karim Syahi, Kazem Heydari, Meisam Ali Ghanavati, Tarogh Khalafi, and Gharib Hoveizavi were arrested on December 16.
(13) A prisoner was executed on a murder charge in Mashhad prison on December 30. In 2018, the Iranian authorities issued the death penalty sentence to 240 individuals and have already carried out more than 256 executions.
(14) Fazel Gheytasi and Reza Asadi were arrested by security forces in Kamyaran. The reason of their arrest and their whereabouts are unknown.
(15) Two Azerbaijani Turkic rights activists, Reza Jafarlou and Akbar Gholizadeh were summoned to the Revolutionary Court of Urmia.