Iranwire – Canada has launched a deportation case against Seyed Salman Samani, a former senior Iranian government official who was found living in Toronto, according to Canadian media.
Global News reported on December 6 that Samani, 42, is facing a deportation hearing under sanctions introduced in November 2022 that banned senior officials of the Islamic Republic from Canada.
Samani was appointed deputy Interior minister in 2016. It is not clear when he left the position.
Proceedings were scheduled to begin on January 3 next year, according to the report.
The case is said to be the first under Canada’s sanctions, imposed over the Islamic Republic’s bloody crackdown on anti-establishment protests that rocked Iran last year.
The policy effectively barred tens of thousands of Iranian officials and members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) from entering the country.
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) told Global News it was launching deportation proceedings against nine Iranian officials under the sanctions.
One case was withdrawn because the person left Canada and two were at the stage of scheduling hearings, the CBSA said.
The Canadian government has also designated the Islamic Republic of Iran a state sponsor of terrorism and included the IRGC’s expeditionary Quds Force on Canada’s list of terrorist entities.