RFL/RE – The U.S. State Department said on June 26 that it will start carrying out President Donald Trump’s temporary ban on travelers from six predominantly Muslim countries 72 hours after it was partly reinstated by the Supreme Court.
That means the measure will go into effect the morning of June 29.
Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the U.S. government will inform people traveling to the United States about further details and provisions of the ban “in a professional, organized, and timely way.”
In what Trump declared a “clear victory for our national security,” the Supreme Court earlier on June 26 lifted lower court decisions blocking Trump’s 120-day suspension of the U.S. refugee program, as well as a 90-day ban on visitors from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.
But it said the ban would not apply to visitors who have a “credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.”
The ban on refugees is also being allowed to take effect on a similar, limited basis.
The Trump administration said the travel ban was needed to allow time to develop screening procedures for visa applicants from the targeted countries.
But opponents argued that the ban discriminates against Muslims in violation of the U.S. Constitution.